As a treating psychiatrist, Dr. Novak provides diagnostic consultations and treats adult clients who may be suffering from a variety of psychiatric or psychological problems. He also provides impartial forensic evaluations in legal cases where mental illness interfaces with the law.
In Dr. Novak's private practice, he specializes in the treatment of adults with anxiety and mood problems. He treats such disorders as depression, panic, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), phobias and insomnia.
As a therapist, Dr. Novak believes in the biopsychosocial model of psychiatry, in which biological, psychological and social factors are all considered in order to formulate the most accurate diagnostic impression and implement the most appropriate treatments. As a psychopharmacologist, he strives to use evidence-based medicine when prescribing psychiatric medications.
Academic and Administrative Appointments
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Psychiatry- UCSF School of Medicine
- Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry- Stanford University School of Medicine
- Physician Specialist, Human Services Agency- City and County of San Francisco
Post Doctoral Training
- Stanford University Hospital and Clinics, Adult Psychiatry Residency
- University of California-Davis, Psychiatry and the Law Fellowship
- Rush Medical College, Medical Doctorate
- Indiana University at Bloomington, BA in Chemistry- major in Chemistry with minor in Biological Sciences
Licensure and Board Certification
- Board Certified in Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board Certified in Forensic Psychatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Licensed Physician, California Medical Board
- DEA Certification, U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency
Awards and Honors
- Miller Prize for Best Original Paper among Stanford Graduating Residents: “The Legal Aspects of PTSD.”
Memberships, Offices and Committee Appointments
Back to top